Metal lamp from River Fleet tunnels (1891)

This lamp bears the date 1891 and was found in the tunnels of the subterranean River Fleet, beneath New End Primary School. The main sources of the Fleet were springs  at Hampstead Heath that ran into the Heath's ponds, which were built as reservoirs in the 1700s. The groundwaters of the upper Fleet River merge to the west of Hampstead Heath, and used to surface via springs accessed through the Chalybeate Well on Well Walk, just steps from Burgh House. More information about the Fleet can be found at http://www.londonslostrivers.com/river-fleet.html