Photograph of Burgh House library, circa 1935. Captain George and Elsie Bambridge lived at Burgh House between 1933 and 1937. Elsie Bambridge's father, the writer Rudyard Kipling, was a regular visitor.
According to an article in the Antique Collector from August 1937, the Bambridges had:
'... furnished the house sympathetically with antiques and done much to preserve its atmosphere of the past ... In the hands of its present occupants, it is a place where one can forget the hurly-burly of London ... and sense a respect for the craftsmanship, imagery and colour of a less shallow era than our own.'