Sidney Horne Shepherd, known as 'Toby' to his family and friends, lived in Hampstead from the 1950s until 1974 when he retired to West Sussex.
Born in Dundee and educated at Harris Academy, Sidney D’Horne Shepherd attended Dundee School of Art from 1924 - 1926 and then Glasgow School of Art where in 1927 he won a travelling scholarship and prizes for portrait and landscape. In 1929 he took the Painting Diploma, winning a post-diploma scholarship and becoming an Assistant Art Teacher at Glasgow Art School from 1930 - 32. A series of portrait commissions took him to London where in 1937 he became a lecturer at Shoreditch Training College until joining the National Fire Service in 1941. He was subsequently drafted by The Ministry of Labour to Napiers Aircraft Factory in Acton working as a technical assistant, aero-engine tester and draughtsman before returning to Shoreditch to resume his duties in 1945. Having been appointed Senior Art Lecturer in 1947 he remained at Shoreditch until 1954. Thereafter he held a number of teaching posts including Ealing School of Art, St Martin’s School of Art and the St John Cass School of Art before retiring somewhat reluctantly in 1974. He was an exceptional draughtsman and an adventurous artist who enjoyed exploring a wide range of media and his remaining years were spent in West Sussex producing, as always, an amazing amount of work now mainly watercolours, drawings and monoprints rather than oil paintings. He exhibited extensively and his work was sought after and is held in many private and public collections including McManus Galleries, Dundee.