John Anderson (1926 - )

The Holly Bush Tavern (1951)

This tavern on Holly Mount was converted from the stables of Romney’s House in 1807. Originally it was linked by a passage to the Assembly Rooms as their catering wing, supplying refreshments and dinners. The Assembly Rooms were very important in late-nineteenth-century Hampstead for meetings, music and art. They housed the Hampstead Literary and Scientific Society from 1813 onwards, where John Constable lectured.

The Holly Bush Tavern is still open today, and retains many of its original features, including wooden panels and etched glass.