George Charlton (1899 - 1979)

The Opening of Wells House (1949)

Hampstead Borough Council tore down bomb-damaged Georgian buildings on Well Walk in the 1940s and built a block of flats, known as Wells House, in their place, for use as council housing. In spite of the controversy surrounding this decision, many local residents turned up for the official opening of Wells House, as shown in this sketch.